I have a thing against nasty chemicals, synthetic fragrances and unnaturally bright colours (and I am not even mentioning palm oil or plastic here – these two are top of my hate list!).
So when it comes to washing dishes, I have been using fragrance-free “eco friendly” tablets in our dishwasher, those that are neatly wrapped in biofilm and that come in a cardboard box (cuz I hate plastic!). There are several brands to choose from now and I haven’t given it any more thoughts… until the other day when I noticed where they were made!
- One brand was made in France – it must be for posh dishwashers!
- Another one came from Denmark.
- One came from Germany.
- And, finally, Luxembourg (don’t they do banking stuff there?).
Then I remembered that old-fashion white washing soda we can find in the laundry aisle of the supermarket… It does come in a single use plastic (urgh!) but it is super efficient notwithstanding versatile (you can use it in the washing machine, to mop the floor, etc).
I now use two tablespoons of that washing soda in the dishwasher.
- It cleans. Although it does leave some streaks on glass and metal… I gotta tweak the recipe a bit.
- It costs me a fraction of the price of those dishwashing tablets.
- It is eco-friendly and septic-safe.
- It is made in Australia
- Packaging is minimal.